From:   Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu,
Date:   09/23/2012 12:33 PM
Subject:        Re: z/os mount command
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

On 9/23/2012 11:07 AM, James A Huckert wrote:
> What is the MVS Basic course?
> I just got into z/OS programming from a Production control position and
> am trying to get a grasp of all the system jargon and such. My employer
> won't allow any training so I am on my own. Anyone got any good ideas on
> websites / books I can learn from? I have found some stuff but nothing
> relevant to todays mainframes.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

So your employer is IBM and your employer won't allow any training.

Man that kind of thing just drives me nuts! IBM should be in the
forefront of providing training to their employees (and they used
to, many years ago) but they are being driven by the bean counters
and not real managers.

There will be a price to pay down the road, but everyone is just
focused on this quarter. Ugh.

Well, here are a few websites, in no particular order, that might
have information you can use:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/zfavorites/
http://www.mainframeforum.com/index.php
http://www.mainframes.com/index.htm
http://planetmvs.com/
http://gsf-soft.com/

and, maybe to help convince management of the value of training:

http://www.trainersfriend.com/Convincing.html

Good luck.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* Check out our sale of training materials at
   http://www.trainersfriend.com/SpecialSale/

   (sale absolutely ends 19 October, 2012)

* Let us know if you are interested in our
   training materials reseller program