shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net (Shmuel Metz  , Seymour J.) writes:
> OS/VS2 Release 3.8 was the last free MVS[1], and TSO was a part of it.
> There were various products that enhanced the free base, including
> MVS/SE and TSO Command Package. These were later bundled into larger
> products, e.g., MVS/SP subsumed MVS/SE, DFP subsumed DF/DS and TSO/E
> subsumed the TSO Command Package. Eventually IBM got rid of the free
> base.
>
> [1] There were later free selectable units and service upgrades,
>     but no new free release.

various litigation resulted 23jun69 unbundling announcement started to
charge for application software, SE services, maintenance, etc
... however the company made the case that kernel (operating system)
software should still be free. misc. past posts mentioning unbundling
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#unbundle

In 1971, FS was motivated largely by clone controllers ... completely
replace 360/370 and totally different (with complex & tightly
integration between system and controllers) ... during FS period, 370
efforts were being killed off. The dirth of 370 products during the FS
period is credited with giving clone processors a market foothold.
misc. past posts mentioning FS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

I had continued to do 360/370 stuff during the FS period ... even
ridiculing FS activity ... claiming what I had running was better than
their blue sky stuff. With death of FS, there was mad rush to get
stuff back into 370 product pipelines ... reference here how
3033 & 3081 were q&d efforts trying to use warmed over FS stuff
... but compared poorly to clone processors
http://www.jfsowa.com/computer/memo125.htm

in any case, the mad rush to get stuff back into 370 product pipelines
contributed to decision to release various pieces of stuff that I had
continued to do all during the FS period.

One of the pieces was dynamic adaptive resource manager that I had done
for (virtual machine) cp67 as undergraduate in the 60s ... and was
dropped in the simplification morph from cp67->vm370. The rise of the
clone processors also contributed to decision to start charging for
kernel software ... and my dynamic adpative resource manager was
selected for guinea pig ... and I got to spend a lot of time with
business & legal people regarding kernel software charging policies
misc. past posts mentioning my resource manager (default resource policy
was fair share which become common reference)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#fairshare

The original kernel pricing policy was new kernel software that wasn't
directly involved in hardware support, could be charged for (but things
like device support. and new processor support would still be free).
This resulted in some amount of confusion when it was finally decided to
release vm370 tightly coupled multiprocessor support (which had to be
free) ... however, I had already shipped numerous pieces required for
multiprocessor support in my dynamic adaptive resource manager (but not
the actual enabling pieces of code). Having free (hardware support)
kernel software that was dependent on charged for software ... violated
the kernel pricing policies. What they finally did was move 90% of the
lines of code from the resource manager into the free kernel (for the
release with multiprocessor support), but kept the price of the
radically reduced resource manager unchanged. Eventually company
transitions to charging for the whole kernel.

misc. posts about having been involved in various tightly-coupled
multiprocessor activities
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#smp

As part of mad rush to get stuff back into the 370 product pipeline, the
head of POK managed to convince corporate to killoff the vm370 product,
shutdown the vm370 product development group and move all the people to
POK (or otherwise they wouldn't be able to make the mvs/xa product ship
scheduled). However, eventually Endicott managed to save the vm370
product mission ... but had to reconstitute a development group from
scratch. Later Endicott saw massive increase in vm370 installations
(both inside and outside the company) with the extremely popular 4300
machines. various old email related to 4300 product
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#43xx

The upswing of vm/4300s was so great that corporate got around to
declaring vm/cms the strategic interactive computing product (to the
extreme dismay of POK, the MVS group and especially TSO).  This is long
winded old email about the TSO product administrator trying to talk me
into doing my dynamic adaptive resource manager for MVS ... as an
approach to trying to improve TSO's interactive computing
characteristics (I pointing out that the structural flaws in MVS for
interactive computing went far beyond what could be fixed by my resource
manager):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006b.html#email800310