In <0461273688451840.wa.m42tomibmmainyahoo....@listserv.ua.edu>, on
10/23/2012
   at 07:56 AM, Tom Marchant <m42tom-ibmm...@yahoo.com> said:

>Hmmm....   If so, I don't see the errors.  Perhaps it has been
>corrected.  This is the -6 edition of the book, published in August,
>1970.  I do see  where it has, "The Pack instruction does not check
>zones, except in  the rightmost byte..."  It doesn't check the
>rightmost zone, but it does  move it.  Is that what you mean?

It may not be the student text I'm thinking of, although the date is
in the right era. The one that I'm thinking of was around for several
years and "simplified" the explanation in PoOps by claiming that the
instructions only operated on decimal data. That made it hard for them
to understand the code for translating between binary and hex.