From:   Quasar Chunawala <quasar.chunawa...@gmail.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU,
Date:   11/17/2012 02:30 AM
Subject:        Regarding Time Sharing
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

Hi everybody,

I hope this finds you in the pink of health. I am Quasar, and I hail from
Mumbai, India. I own a blog on the internet, parked at
http://www.mainframes360.com. I am an application developer by profession.

I intend to write an article on TSO/E on my blog. I have been reading
matter on time-sharing and its origins on the Internet. I learnt about the
history of Time Sharing systems and how they evolved over a period of
time.
I have also read, Bob Bemer’s article "*How to Consider a Computer*",
published in the Automatic Control Magazine, in March 1957, by .

I would like you to throw some light on the technical underpinnings of
how TSO really accomplishes the feat of time-sharing. I know that, there
is
a TSO address-space for every active user logged on to the system. It is
my
understanding that, time is sliced by the scheduler between all the TSO
jobs, other user-jobs, STARTed tasks etc. But, it occurs to me, why should
a time-slot be given to a TSO user, who hasn't pressed an AID key(like
Enter)? Maybe, he's just staring at a dataset. Isn't this a waste of
processor-time? Or am I missing out something.

Thanks and look forward to receiving a reply from you soon,

Quasar Chunawala