Quasar:

As Lynn Wheeler points out, TSS/360 was considered sound by many both in IBM and by at least a handful of IBM customers. I ran across many strong advocates during an assignment at IBM's Watson Research Center at Yorktown Heights, NY in the early '80s. These folks were serious enough to make it's control program design a basis for a competing version of VM/XA, known internally as VM/XB. This was my last project with IBM. I left the company before VM/XB was eventually shelved, and the issue of the competitive design may well have been settled by economic, rather than technical reasons.

Mike Myers
Mentor Services Corporation