> May I assume that "telling" includes providing z/OS with the address of the
> ECB(s)?

Asking, actually, LOL.

* OBTAIN ADDRESS OF THE CIB *
* From z/OS V1R10.0 MVS Authorized Assembler Services Guide p. 2-4
*
*  Now see if have a CIB
         EXTRACT COMADDR,FIELDS=COMM,MF=(E,EXTRACTL)
         L     R8,COMADDR          GET ADDRESS OF THE AREA
         USING COM,R8              USE R8 AS BASE ADDRESS OF COMM AREA
*
*  Pick up ECB address out of the COM
         L     R0,COMECBPT
         ST    R0,ECBLISTC         Store in ECB list
*
*  Use QEDIT to set MODIFY count to one
         QEDIT ORIGIN=COMCIBPT,CIBCTR=1

Charles