Same physical ECB. There is a control block, the CIB, which describes the
communication. It has a "verb" for STOP, MODIFY, and START. Each of these
reside in a CIB. That's how a program can pick up information from the START
command which initiated it (if there is one, that is). Using QEDIT, you tell
z/OS how many CIBs can be queued to your address space. The default is 0. The
QEDIT macro is also used to get the address of the next CIB, if any, and also
to free it. A "one stop" macro. There is only a single ECB involved. It is
reset when the number of CIBs is zero. The ECB itself is in system storage.
There is special code in WAIT which allows key 8 code (application) to WAIT on
the key 0 ECB.

> >z/OS "knows" whether a program has gone through the motions of telling
> >z/OS it was prepared to accept console commands. ...
> >
> May I assume that "telling" includes providing z/OS with the address of
> the ECB(s)?

No, z/OS tells the code where the ECB exists.

> Thanks,
> gil

Ref, with example assembler code:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/iea2a8b0/2.3

Implemented in IBM's z/OS C run time via the __console2 routine.
ref: http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/EDCLB1B0/3.138

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets®

9151 Boulevard 26 • N. Richland Hills • TX 76010
(817) 255-3225 phone •
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com • www.HealthMarkets.com

HealthMarkets® is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the
insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. –The Chesapeake Life Insurance
Company®, Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA
Life and Health Insurance Company.SM