On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 11:02:26 -0600 Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

:>On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 08:03:16 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:
:>
:>>> How does STOP work?

:>>From a programmer's point of view, it sets a flag and posts an ECB.

:>>> Is MODIFY similar?

:>>Yes, both are quite similar in how they work. Modify is a flag plus the text
:>>of the command. AFAIR Stop is just a flag, but I might well be wrong and I
:>>am too lazy to look it up right now.

:>Same ECB or different ECB?  Or does the flag indicate whether the operation
:>was STOP, MODIFY, or ... (What else?)

The ECB, when posted, indicates that at least one CIB is available for
processing. The CIB has the command code and the related data.

:>>z/OS "knows" whether a program has gone through the motions of telling z/OS
:>>it was prepared to accept console commands. ...

:>May I assume that "telling" includes providing z/OS with the address of the
ECB(s)?

More precisely, the application tell zOS that it is willing to handle MODIFY
commands. STOP commands will always go thru. The ECB is provided by the
system. It is cleared when there are no CIBs to process. It is special in that
it is the only key0 ECB that user key programs can wait on.

http://www.dissensoftware.com