On 5 December 2012 12:02, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>>z/OS "knows" whether a program has gone through the motions of telling z/OS
>>it was prepared to accept console commands. ...
>>
> May I assume that "telling" includes providing z/OS with the address of the
> ECB(s)?

It's been answered, but it's worth noting that it's "ECB", not
"ECB(s)". That is, there is effectively but one such ECB per address
space, so multiple tasks cannot have their own independent
notifications from stop or modify commands. There is neither syntax
nor infrastructure provided to direct a stop or modify to a unit of
work within an address space.UNIX on z/OS does provide the ability to
direct signals to processes, and perhaps even to threads, iirc.

In passing, there is another really annoying limitation imposed on
programs that use the IBM callable service BPX1CCS (aka __console()
or __console2() ), which are the only console services available to C
programmers unless you write your own assembler interface. These
services arrogate to themselves use of the entire name space on the
modify command that rightly belongs to the application program, and
dole out to the application only the limited subset that follows the
string "APPL=".

But I've ranted about this before...

Tony H.