Okay, I'm getting this nailed down. To review, I am not writing a general
purpose function and can safely ignore all of the "weird" cases like "two
programs with the same name from different load libraries." We can assume
true z/OS batch (not STC or anything Unix-ey). Let's ignore any 64-bit
considerations. No AR mode.

I can live with an answer to the following either/or question: am I the
jobstep program, or did someone else load (in a generic sense of the word
load) me? I can't make the simplifying assumption that I know my own name
because customers may have renamed "me" (more likely than it usually would
be for reasons that are beyond the scope of this discussion). Either "me" or
the (other) jobstep program might be in the LPA.

I don't see any examples for CSVQUERY. Am I missing something?

Anyway, here is my plan. Comments?

Issue CSVQUERY
INADDR=ptr_to_any_addr_in_my_pgm,SEARCH=JPALPA,SEARCHMINOR=NO,OUTEPNM=eight_
char_fld_in_writable_storage

(I know some of those parms are defaults; I'm just being extra clear.) Given
RC=0, that gets me "my" name. Do I need anything else on CXVQUERY other than
the usual MF= considerations? Am I safe ignoring PLISTVER and any other
parameters?

Compare the returned name to JSCBPGMN from my TCB. If they are equal, it is
the "I am the jobstep program" case; else it is the "somebody must have
loaded me" case.

Thanks,
Charles