From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Bill Fairchild
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 12:52 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Who loaded me?

It's in the archives multiple times.  About once a year this same question
is asked, followed by a flurry of technical replies, and finally a small
flurry of "it can't be done in the general case" replies.

Not everything is in the archives.  And a lot is in the archives that
doesn't need to be there, because of topic drift and periodic asking of the
same question.

I once had a colleague who asked me at least once a day what time it was.  I
told him the time of day every time he asked me for about two weeks.  Then
one day I grew tired of the process and asked him politely, but not smugly,
why he didn't have his own watch.

My answer of looking in the archives was too brief, and thus it appeared
smug.  I should have added that this was a difficult topic, there are a lot
of details to consider, the problem is insoluble in the general case, and it
is asked of IBM-MAIN about once a year.  Reviewing the archives will also
reveal the details that have been brought out in the past but that might not
have been brought out in the current round of replies to this annual topic.

Many of us do have answers right on the top of our head.  But it takes a
fair amount of time to compose a technically correct and hopefully helpful
reply.  It has to be EXTREMELY correct because there are some posters who
seem to thrive on finding fault with others' posts.  And I do not mean
Charles Mills.  I would hope that in an ideal world a would-be
question-poser might contrast how much time it takes the five or six people
who give thorough and correct answers with how much time he should research
the subject himself before asking the whole world.  When I was a child
eating dinner with my parents, I would often ask them what such-and-such a
word meant after first hearing it in dinner conversation.  My dad, who had
the answer on the top of his head,  would usually say "you know how to spell
now and how to find words that you don't know how to spell by breaking them
down phonetically; look it up in the dictionary and/or encyclopedia (we had
two different sets, one of which was Britannica) after dinner."  I would
look it up and learn far more than just the meaning of that word.  My dad
was not trying to be smug, but rather to instill in me more intellectual
curiosity and individual resourcefulness.

OTOH, my advice to search the archives was, IMHO, much nicer than this
answer:  "No."

Bill Fairchild
Programmer
Rocket Software
408 Chamberlain Park Lane * Franklin, TN 37069-2526 * USA
t: +1.617.614.4503 *  e: bfairch...@rocketsoftware.com * w:
www.rocketsoftware.com