>I would rephrase Peter's formulation,
>"(it better not have any 4-byte relocatable adcon's)",
>slightly, changing it to
>"it better be AMODE(64)".

I really did mean what I wrote. AMODE is irrelevant. The module is, after
all, not executable in the case that is being discussed.
And, in fact RMODE also is irrelevant. The module may identify RMODE 31
(or even RMODE 24) but if you provide an area above the bar, the system
will happily load it there.
It is in such cases that you might erroneously have a 4-byte adcon.
(Ignoring of RMODE is an old behavior of LOAD with ADDR, continued onward
for LOAD with ADDR64)

It's kind of hard to squeeze an 8-byte relocated address above 4G into a
4-byte area.  But the system will happily do what it can (just as it will
for a 3-byte adcon for a module loaded above 16M).  It is up to the user
to do the right thing; the system will not protect (i.e., abend) this
case, if I remember correctly.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design