On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 08:54:21 -0600, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I remember this too. I just tried a VARY dasdunit,OFFLINE on z/OS 1.12
>and it immediately went off line, with the message being issued.
>
>We had a started task called DEALLOC
>
>S DEALLOC
>
>it looked like:
>
>//DEALLOC EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
>
>All it did was cause a step start, which went through ALLOCATION,
>which is what seemed to drive the message.

Right, you no longer need to do this.  I should know when this change
happened, but a lot of allocation changes were made in phases over
at least a couple of OS releases.  That being said, I'm pretty sure
this change happened at z/OS 1.7 (which is perhaps why I am
fuzzy since the shop I was at skipped from 1.6 to 1.8).

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com