On 1/24/2013 12:45 PM, Staller, Allan wrote:
The behavior has changed. Used to be in MVT and early MVS that something needed
to drive allocation to take a device offline.
I personally have *never* used DEALLOC. Just a simple 'S X'  (with no proc
behind it) from the console was sufficient.

Under OS/360 a 'S X' command without any proc was sufficient. MVS came with a DEALLOC proc, consisting of an IEFBR14 and comments cards explaining the use. I routinely assigned X as an alias to it.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, Vermont