From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Staller, Allan
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:46 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Varying off path while it is in use

The behavior has changed. Used to be in MVT and early MVS that something needed
to drive allocation to take a device offline.
I personally have *never* used DEALLOC. Just a simple 'S X'  (with no proc
behind it) from the console was sufficient.

<snip>
>It is still shipped in SYS1.PROCLIB(DEALLOC).

Of course.  Someone's JCL proc or MGCR might depend on it.

And no DD statement.  I remembered wrong.

And no IBM copyright notice.  Does that mean you could post it here, or is it
copyright regardless of notice?

But the one I see has been customized locally to add accounting information to
the JOB statement.  (The account number is obsolete by two corporate
acquisitions and more.)

Did the behavior of VARY really change, or is it just that on a contemporary
z/OS system the mean time between allocations is imperceptibly short?
</snip>