Rob Schramm wrote:
z/OS Security: Statement of Integrity.
<snip>

Sometimes we overfocus on "what's new" rather than fundamentals. The best tire in the world doesn't help you corner better if it falls off the car when kicked!

So, I'd add data integrity. In fact, I'd put it first. The HW guys spend an awful lot of time on making sure every data path has some sort of error checking (and many have built-in error correction as well). From disk and tape, across the channel, to memory, to the processor, and back, this is pervasive technology on System z that I think is not pervasive on all the other platforms. A lot of this stuff is built right into the chip designs. (I think that's one very good reason lots of financial "systems of record" are on z.)

I'd also add high resource utilization, with business goal-oriented performance management. People run z/OS systems 100% busy for weeks and months on end while meeting their important workload goals, and populate disk storage managed by DFSMShsm (or its competitors) well into the 90+% range.

Oh, and I'd add measurements (the I/O measurements are even in-band!). Auditing. Isolating failures as much as possible and collecting diagnostic data. And so on...

(Hey!  How'd that soapbox get down there, anyway?)

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing