From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Aled Hughes
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 4:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: mainframe "selling" points

 Don
The 'analysts' are wrong!
This biased article appeared on the BBC who is not known for any
opinion/expertise about IBM mainframes - you will also note that no 'person' is
attributed to authoring this article. It also quotes Pund-IT who also seem to
know nothing about mainframes. Finally, we have a comment from Gartner, a long
time advocate of disliking mainframes - I recall attending a Gartner conference
back in 1983 when they said 'the mainframe is dead'. I said at the time, 'Long
live the mainframe'!
Unfortunately, some of IBM's most senior management do not share this view and
will always look at the 'bottom line'. However, last quarter's finances speak
for themselves.
There is a lot of interest in using mainframes instead of massive server farms
(zLinux being the key).
Maybe our friend Timothy S can chime in here? :-)
Cheers
ALH