and what about Linux -- on the Z platform

From:   Don Williams <donb...@gmail.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   01/29/2013 10:19 AM
Subject:        Re: mainframe "selling" points
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

In my company's case, it's not a matter of asking our vendor to work with
IBM.  The vendor already works with IBM, but has chosen to phase out their
mainframe product and create a new one that runs on PC-based servers.  For
various reasons, the hospital decided to open the field and look for a new
Electronic Medical Record (EMR) package across all platforms.  My
understanding is that there is no viable EMR package available on the z/OS
platform.  This made me wonder -- is there no EMR vendor who chose to
develop their product on the z/OS platform?  I expect that successful
vendors carefully chose their platform(s).  If they are not chosing z/OS,
why not?