I am not sure, but the PC in impinging on the z in many ways. IMO, one
reason is that some very creative people can afford their own PC and
tools (especially if they use Linux). The investment is very low
compared to a z. And the "vendor" can then market the product to many
more people. Most every office in the world has PC class servers. Take
the EMR package. If it is priced correctly and easy to use, then the
market into local doctor's offices is immense compared to, say, only
into a major hospital (which could possibly afford a z). I know my
personal doctor has some sort of PC based software. I see them (and my
dentist) using it. And the doctor no longer writes physical
prescriptions. He just enters it into his laptop; it then ends up
going to my pharmacy; and they send a text to my phone when it is
ready to pick up. I really don't see much of any reason for
"application level" code on the z any more. Things like DB2, maybe.
But CICS? Sorry, it is simply easier to create a "web" based
transaction using WAS or JBOSS or Tomcat on a server. Doing so is more
cost efficient for our size (and shrinking) business. The only reason
we continue with CICS/COBOL is that we do incremental changes. We
don't have the money to convert from CICS or batch COBOL to something
else (likely Microsoft .NET based <shudder/>).

--
Maranatha! <><
John McKown