From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is there any z/OS API to get byte file size for non-VSAM, non-zFS,
non-database files?

On Thu, 14 May 2020 18:52:09 +0000, Gerhard adam wrote:

>       It is easy to say that a COBOL program needs to “know” this but it is
> nonsense since there is nothing a COBOL program can do with this info.

It could print it in a report.

I suspect cultural familiarity, the complement of a presentation I attended
circa 1980 where IBM was selling a then-innovative online service.  The
presenter said the base subscription entitled the customer to one megabyte of
storage.  Question from the
audience:
    "How much is that in cylinders?"

Of course, it depends.  1.75 cylinders.  Someone with a different background
might have been familiar with 1.36 floppy disks.

>If it turns out to really be necessary then a subroutine can be written
>(as it has been done for decades) to provide this information. If the
>question is simply to bitch about why z/OS does do this automatically
>via a call or something then the complaint is directed to the wrong
>group

Keep your data in zFS.  Then "ls -l" gives the answer immediately.

How readily can COBOL access zFS files.  BPXWDYN should make it routine.

attachments from your system.