From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Peter Relson
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2020 4:36 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is there any z/OS API to get byte file size for non-VSAM, non-zFS,
non-database files?

Is the non-zFS "file" of the subject a data set / data set member (since we
move from HFS)? Or something else?

I don't know what UDATASIZ and COMUDSIZ might or might not contain, but in
general the answer to the subject question is likely "no" because z/OS likely
does not keep that information. z/OS itself has no use for that information,
and maybe it's the case that there is no valid use for it in an application.

Knowing the byte file size (which is what was asked about) is not the same as
knowing the number of records and the record size, particularly for a
variable-record-length data set, or the number of cylinders and/or tracks
and/or blocks that are allotted to the data set / member.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

attachments from your system.