On Mon, 18 May 2020 21:41:00 -0300, Clark Morris wrote:
>This gets curiouser and curiouser.  Unless the receiver of the file is
>either z/OS or z/VSE, how is the file going to look?  Is what is
>actually being sent a sequential copy of the file?  Also the
>transmitting mechanism may well have a byte count.  Unless the file
>size is to be sent ahead of the actual transmission (I am assuming FTP
>or other online transport mechanism as opposed to tape or other
>physical medium), what can the receiver do based on the information?
>Is the sender supposed to do something?

The brute force (perhaps only) answer in the worst case would seem to
be to perform the transformation directing output to a zFS tmpfile and
use BPX1FST to get the size.  I can't find an Assemble callable tmpfile().
Three times the disk I/O unless the temp is a main storage buffer.

This wanders far from the requirement posed by the OP's client.

-- gil