On Fri, 15 May 2020 13:35:59 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>"For in-stream data sets: with the SH option, trailing blanks are not
>truncated. Records in in-stream data sets are concatenated with blanks as
>separator characters, and the string remaining after the SH token is passed as
>a single argument to a /bin/sh -c command. For the PGM option, the string is
>divided not only at line boundaries but also at horizontal white space within
>a line. "

Where did you find that (citation needed)?  I find only roughly
similar for STDPARM in:
z/OS  Version 2 Release 4
UNIX System Services Command Reference
IBM   SA23-2280-40

>Which doesn't make a lot of sense. If it is not taken as a single parameter
>for other file types, why not?

There appears to be a woeful lack of communication among
designers, coders, and tech writers.  Almost more than can be
fixed by RCF.  Examples needed for Cartesian product of:
    {SH|PGM} {FB|VB} {PATH|DSN|SYSIN} {single|multiple commands}

-- gil