On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 12:38, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> I thought that you could turn off TSO recognition of semicolon with
PROFILE or TERMINAL but, no, you can't. I'm not sure what happens if CLIST
or REXX code passes a semicolon. OTOH, TSO will accept a semicolon in a
quoted string.

Semicolon is not a command separator in TSO; there is no facility to put
more than one command on a line. Semicolon does end the command, and
behaves a lot like a trailing /* does.
 READY
listd test.asm ; any old junk
 C702TOH.TEST.ASM
 --RECFM-LRECL-BLKSIZE-DSORG
   FB    80    3120    PO
 --VOLUMES--
   A3USR3
 READY
send 'Hello' user(*) ;  some stuff
 Hello C702TOH
 READY
send 'Hello' user(*) some stuff
 IKJ56712I INVALID KEYWORD, SOME
 IKJ56703A REENTER THIS OPERAND - (I hit enter here)
 IKJ56712I INVALID KEYWORD, STUFF
 IKJ56703A REENTER THIS OPERAND - (I hit enter here)
 Hello C702TOH
 READY

Of course ISPF has very different behaviours, and it doesn't help that so
many people think that ISPF *is* TSO.

Tony H.