On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 17:47:46 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>I call that the "GTF effect"; the problem never manifests when I have
>diagnostic measures in place to capture failure data.

GTF?  Generalized Trace Facility?

A colleague once used the term "Heisenberg effect" for a performance
monitor that reported that most of the CPU time was being spent in the
performance monitor.

And I struggled with a vendor compiler when my program arithmetic
checked in optimized mode but produced the result I intended in debug
mode.  Vendor support told me (correctly) that the construct I (tried to)
use was documented as "unpredictable".  WAD?

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 17:51:13 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>> DBD  or PSB library.
>
>In a kinder, more gentle world, the message would tell you which.

I consider "either-or" messages irresponsible.  Even in the case where
a single test and BC instruction may detect significantly different  errors.
More likely, middleware fails to distinguish or preserve distinct reason
codes supplied by the base level.

The M&C Reason explanations are rife with "either or".

-- gil