On 2020-06-26 15:21, Gord Tomlin wrote:
On 2020-06-26 12:57, Henri Kuiper wrote:
here’s a little “why” for the existence of the thing :https://zdevops.tumblr.com/post/620908065704853504/mainframe-community-mattermost

I read the above, and then headed over to see https://mainframe.community/

I see that the privacy policy and terms are the default ones supplied by Mattermost. Has this site set up its own privacy policy and terms, or is it relying on the defaults provided by Mattermost? I have to ask, because there isn't much to see without creating an account and logging in.

I took the next step and joined this new community to see what all the fuss here was all about. I don't like to either boost or trash something that I know nothing about.

I was already familiar with Mattermost. For those who aren't, it's an open source package that looks and acts very much like Slack did six months ago. So if you know Slack, you pretty much know Mattermost.

Here's what I found, in no particular order:
- There are no ads.
- There is no sign of people selling answers
  (for clarity, the comments about those two items were about
  another site).
- I've seen no sign of pedantry.
- I haven't seen topics wander off into hardware nostalgia or, as
  in this very topic, discussions of quote marks and character sets.
- I haven't seen a lot of the key IBMers who make major contributions
  here.
- The new site appears to be somewhat more collaborative discussion, as
  opposed to Q&A.
- I haven't seen anyone asking questions without supplying the
  information that someone would need to answer the questions.
- It's not a huge population at this point (as I write this, the
  Mattermost equivalent of Slack's #general channel  has 119 members).
- The topics discussed seem to be more "new workload" and less "legacy".
- It's a little chaotic, because the Slack/Mattermost chat-oriented
  paradigm does not really lend itself to threaded conversations.
  When it gets a lot of users, it's likely to feel a lot like the Zowe
  Slack site.
- It's just different from IBM-MAIN. As far as I can tell, it's not
  trying to replace IBM-MAIN (and if it was, the choice of a chat tool
  rather than a forum tool would have been a mistake).

--

Regards, Gord Tomlin
Action Software International