On 23 February 2013 17:08, Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
[quoting John Gilmore]
>>The defense of the continued use of single-case ones once dual-case
>>replcements had become available, notionally on economic grounds, was
>>in fact an instance of the all but reflexive responses of
>>bureaucratized EDP managements to new technology.
>
> Actually there is a more subtle and hard to deal with reason.  Any
> alphanumeric field comparison or sort on alphanumeric fields assumed
> upper case only.  If case insensitivity were to be required, all of
> them would have to be rewritten.  If not, other problems could arise.
> This gets worse for non-English languages if possible.  Name and
> address matching algorithms must be interesting even in monocase.

Dual-case hardware, and to a great extent, software, became widely
available many years before correct notions of collating for sorting
and searching were articulated - let alone widely implemented. The
notion that one can sort or search even in mixed-case English without
diacritics using byte-at-a-time comparisons persists to this day in
many quarters.

The first published clear statement of the problem and its solution
(as it happens, for French, and en passant for English), and the
beginnings of a general solution for other alphabetic languages were
to my knowledge found in the report by Alain LaBonté of the Quebec
Government, "Règles du classement alphabétique en langue française et
procédure informatisée pour le tri" in 1988. This was followed by the
still very useful and readable 1990 IBM Redbook by Denis Garneau "Keys
to Sort and Search for Culturally Expected Results" GG24-3516, sadly
out of print, and available only ever on paper.

Much of this was standardized, first for English and French in
CAN-CSA-Z243.4.1 1996, and later in POSIX, the Unicode Collation
Algorithm, and other places, and these organizations acknowledge their
debt to LaBonté, and the people at IBM who were ahead of the game for
many years.

Amazingly, though, arguments over the necessity of this were still
going on quite actively as late as the early 2000s, and in some ways
continue even now.

Tony H.