FWIW This VSAM index issue is most likely due to CI/CA splits. I would
suggest unloading/deleting/reloading the complete VSAM cluster (if
necessary ALTERing the original VSAM cluster to some temp other names
instead of deleting it, after the unload and as a fall-back) to fix
this. A FREESPACE(ca,ci) on reload is unlikely to achieve anything other
than to waste DASD space. A dump of its current VSAM index would show
what the actual problem is.