Lizette,

Without meaning to 'teach grannies to suck eggs', the index component of
a VSAM KSDS contains an 'INDEX SET' and a 'SEQUENCE SET'.

The 'INDEX SET' contains one or more CIs whose records/entries point at
'SEQUENCE SET' CIs.

The records in the 'INDEX SET' are pointers to CAs, i.e. to 'SEQUENCE
SET' CIs. The records in the 'SEQUENCE SET' CIs are pointers to DATA
CIs. In both cases, these records contain the highest KSDS keys in the
CA's CIs pointed at (for 'INDEX SET') or contain the highest KSDS CI key
within a CA (for 'SEQUENCE SET') - thus allowing determination of the CI
that contains the keyed DATA record, within the CA.

Both 'INDEX SET' and 'SEQUENCE SET' CIs are subject to INDEX CI-splits
when new 'user' keyed DATA records are inserted.

The process of locating/accessing a VSAM KSDS DATA record is then as
follows:
- From the 'INDEX SET' determine which CA has the CI that contains the
keyed DATA record.
- From the 'SEQUENCE SET' determine which CI within that CA contains the
keyed DATA record.
- From this CI's CIDF and RDFs now locate/access the keyed DATA record.

Performance will be degraded if the 'INDEX SET' has suffered CI-splits,
because its lower level CIs will then have to be I/O fetched to read
their pointers to the 'SEQUENCE SET' CIs.

I would suggest that you dump your VSAM's INDEX dataset (e.g. "PRINT
IDS(<whatever your VSAM index DSN is>) OUTFILE(<e.g. PRTFILE>)") to
check for INDEX CI-splits - and down to what level - then figure out how
to redefine your VSAM INDEX (CISZ, CYL/TRK etc.) from there.

HTH.

Cheers, Chris Poncelet (retired sysprog)