On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 16:58:52 -0500, Wendell Lovewell wrote:
>//FTPXFER  EXEC PGM=FTP,REGION=4292K,
>//    PARM=('POSIX(ON) ALL31(ON)',
>//       'ENVAR("_CEE_ENVFILE=DD:STDENV")/(EXIT')
>
>I'm trying to make this as self-contained as possible, and would like to
>supply the variables via SYSIN rather than require the PS file named on the
>un-commented version of the STDENV DD.  BPXBATCH is the only program I can
>find documented that says "//STDENV DD *" is supported.  FTP, at least with
>the PARM I'm using, seems to ignore it.
>
>Is it possible to supply STDENV to FTP via SYSIN?

Is it possible that the PGM=FTP job step task does a DYNALLOC INFO
of STDENV to extract the pathname or DSN of STDENV and passes
that to a forked child?  A SYSIN might not be available to that child.

>I hate to admit it, but I thought "Ok, I'll just IEBGENER the variable(s) into
>a VB LRECL=255 BLKSIZE=27998 file (like the one that works), and use that.
>But strangely, I can't get that to work either--even though SUPERC confirms
>the files match.

Are you using a LRECL=255 SYSIN?  That's possible if you avoid
TSO SUBMIT.

Likewise, a temporary data set might be unavailable to a child
process.  If not temporary, there's the chore of cleaning it up
at job end.  Perhaps DISP=(NEW,DELETE,DELETE).  Must the
DSN be catalogued?  That might require SMS.

Oops.  Would a child address space encounter an ENQ conflict with
its own parent?

-- gil