From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Tony Harminc [t...@harminc.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 4:55 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ISPF for mainframe Linux

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 15:40, Bob Bridges <robhbrid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> By the way, what in y'all's opinion is the proper use of the word "macro"?
> I hear the term "Excel macro" all the time, for example, but how is it not,
> simply, a program?  My own idea (not worth very much, but it is my own) is
> that a macro is a series of commands, such as we used to have in the old DOS
> .bat language.  But as soon as the syntax starts allowing for IF and GOTO
> statements, it's no longer a macro; it's a program.

Same thing with the word "script". That too is just a program, non?
(Well obviously script and program[me] have other, non-computer
usages.) I think script tends to be used for some loose combination of
non-compiled language and housekeeping tasks. So you write a REXX or
Lua or whatever program to run your fancy job, but a 10,000 line REXX
thing that could have been written in COBOL is a program. But then
there's Java and Javascript. Java used to be the thing server code was
written in, but now Javascript does a lot of that stuff too.

Tony H.