From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Jeremy Nicoll [jn.ls.mfrm...@letterboxes.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 5:13 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ISPF for mainframe Linux

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021, at 20:21, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> KEXX? When I used KEDIT I found KEXX under powered for anything but key
> binding; KEDIT supported Quercus REXX, so I was home free. I just wish
> that KEDIT had been a larger subset of XEDIT, e.g., SET PENDING.
>
> Fortunately most of my XEDIT scripts were after REXX came along, and I
> didn't have to do much with EXEC and ECEX2. I wish that THE was fully
> compatible with XEDIT.

Although I bought Kedit a long, long time ago - in W3.1 days - I hated W3.1
so much that I didn't use it much and stuck to (ex-)Acorn RISC OS machines.

It wasn't until I was forced (by real life) to stop using RISC OS desktop
computers and acquired a Win XP laptop (and on it an emulator of the
StrongARM processor and RO etc) and slowly migrated what I did to XP
that I looked around for a text editor that I liked.  I tried several before I
remembered I still had the diskettes for Kedit, and then found it still existed
and got an updated version.

I know that at some point various size limits in Kedit got vastly increased and
KEXX also lost some limits, but it may be that realistically what's really made
the difference is vastly faster processors, lots more RAM, and recently SSDs.

I still regret that I cannot run any of my old ispf edit macros.

I miss the ability to insert note lines in files with code like

 "line_after .zcsr = noteline (text)"

and being able to overlay (merge) the contents of one set of lines with
another via prefix commands.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.