The 3279 used tri-plane symbols for extended colour (turquoise, pink,
yellow and white, plus blank for all 3 primary colours off).  This had the
neat trick of allowing easy reverse video highlighting (invert the primary
colour bits).  GDDM was the software exploitation of 3279, which also
introduced program symbols.  Most programs used 10% of the 3279s rather
complex capabilities (a situation not helped by only 2 of the 3279 models
having the full capability set).  Great case study on how to design great
hardware badly, or rather so that it is not used.

Note that the 2260 (3270 predecessor that used a keypunch mechanical
keyboard) and 2250 (million dollar vector graphics terminal) were released
circa 1965.  So the 3279 is 15 years later.