In my opinion, it's a shame that it is this difficult to find a free
academic platform for individuals like the one you described. Master the
Mainframe is a great place to start, but it does not go deep enough.
There's a reason why preteens are writing python, javascript, ruby, etc.
IBM needs to change their perspective and culture to encourage
young individuals to the mainframe.

Thank you,

Brian Chapman