Ed Jaffe wrote:
>IBM Z was recently enhanced with a true random source in CPACF.
>For all the many decades before that, all "random" numbers on the
>mainframe were actually pseudo-random...

The IBM Crypto Express features have had TRNGs aboard for many years (and
still do). This is a fairly complex topic if you get into the details, and
TRNGs are not my speciality. However, my understanding is that if you have
a Crypto Express domain configured to a LPAR (in CCA mode I believe) then
it automatically contributes to entropy for seeding. Having a TRNG (a.k.a.
NDRNG) on chip with CPACF means you get an entropy boost even without a
Crypto Express domain.

You should still get Crypto Express features, assuming you can get them in
your country. They're more important than ever.

Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>The latter suggests that a pseudo RNG is periodically reseeded
>by the TRNG

Yes, that's right. CPACF on the IBM z14 and LinuxONE II models, and
higher, have this feature. If you try to use the TRNG for every random
number request it's really slow, but fortunately that's not required to
achieve the desired, certified outcome. Seeding is rather important,
though, and that's why they're there.

Timothy Sipples
I.T. Architect Executive
Digital Asset & Other Industry Solutions
IBM Z & LinuxONE
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com