Regarding the questions about order of clock values in a multi-system
environment, if you want/need such ordering, you should use the STCKSYNC
service. It has never been clear to me how useful that is since the saving
of the time and the processing of the event are not atomic.

There are likely thousands of things within the operating system that are
done in order to meet architectural requirements. They are not documented
as such. That is why there is an operating system, so you don't have to
deal with them. If the architecture indicates that something needs to be
done, it is done. If there is architectural flexibility in "how" then the
OS might take advantage of that.

If we thought it appropriate for someone to code to it, then it could be
an interface. For the programmable field of the clock, we do not. It is
just more bits. If someone makes a case that it can help with diagnosis to
understand (but not code to), then we would consider documenting (in a
diagnosis guide) the current, but could change at any time,
implementation.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design