On 19/05/2021 8:14 am, Andrew Rowley wrote:

That's unfortunate. It's the same where I work. We run a enterprise class z15 and the zIIP normalized times in the SMF30s match GCP times. What you really want is an image where you can compare code running on a zIIP to a sub-capacity GCP as that's the compelling reason why running your Java product is better than REXX or home rolled HLASM code.

I don't think that matters. I want to make it perform as fast as possible, and for that purpose it is helpful if the engines are the same speed as it's easy to compare. Beyond that, if you run it on a slower engine it will run slower, on a faster engine it will run faster. The system is never going to truly replicate a customer system anyway because one of the major performance factors is competition with other work running on the system, and I am never going to simulate a real production workload.

You can calculate zIIP normalization times using the RMF 79 records using the same formula as SDSF.

I don't see zIIP as a primary reason for SMF reporting in Java. It is a bonus. The compelling reason for Java is better performance than Rexx (for large quantities of data) and much easier and more powerful programming than both Rexx and HLASM. You can create reports in Java that are impracticable in Rexx or HLASM.

I was originally doing SMF reporting in C# on Windows, and the ease of processing data and writing reports made me decide it was worth porting to Java (a similar language) so it could be used on z/OS. Object oriented languages with classes representing record types are a VERY good fit for SMF data.

Then why not write your product in C++? It would be a lot easier to process SMF records using structs then having to write get methods in Java. Contrary to what some people believe C++ is a very modern language with the benefit that it's not garbage collected. We chose Java because the value proposition of offloading to zIIP processors is what customers want. Some of my ex-colleagues have spent the last two years zIIP enabling SMF reporting products that are written in PL/X. In the age of analytics where customers want near real time analytics feeds zIIP offloading isn't a nice to have any more.