> When all vendor extensions fail, as a last resort, try the ANSI standard.

Which says:

5.3.4
Other_negators
A configuration may have a category of characters in source programs called
other_negators.
Other_negators are determined by the configuration. Only the following
characters represent
possible characters of this category. The glyphs used to represent them in this
document are also
shown:
– ^ circumflex accent, caret;
– ¬ not sign.