I figured someone would mention pre-LOAD vs. BLDL :) In my case the efficiency didn't really matter. It was a one-time load as the STC initialized things soon after IPL. Most likely I looked at LOAD vs. BLDL where I had to code a build list and said "why bother when I can LOAD to get the length with less coding". I'm pretty lazy.

P.S. Having IBMers like you and Jim here correcting us and giving their opinions and help is quite amazing. Thanks for that. I remember many years ago when IBM folks were probably told not to respond here other than to tell people to open a PMR. This is so much better.