Hi Terri.

I had a more positive experience with z/osmf installation of a z/os serverpac
after some initial confusion.

A long time ago I had created a ‘software instance’ from a pair of z/os 2.4
target/dlib zones. I used this as a model for my 2.5 installation and was very
surprised when z/osmf proceeded to tailor the dataset names like the 2.4
instance - surprised because I expected that the model had to be an instance
created by a z/osmf installation. I now see that it probably looks for matching
DDDEFs and adjusts the new dataset names accordingly.

I had to adjust the names for new datasets and operational datasets. Here I
found that z/osmf appears to look for common HLQs in a dataset filter list and
gives the opportunity to change that common HLQ to something else. I did this
for instance for some CPAC datasets where we want the HLQ to be SYS1.CPAC
instead of CPAC - I filtered on HLQs to get a list of all CPAC datasets and
excluded the ones I did not want to change.

If you do not have a model instance then of course to change all HLQs to SYS1
you would have to change each HLQ (CEe, ISF etc) separately.

I still have some gripes but these occurred also with the old dialogue:
- only single level aliases are supported. We want to use OMVS.ZOS250 as a 2
level alias pointing to a new catalog on sysres but this has to be done
post-install.

- SMPE.ZOS250.* non-VSAM datasets on the sysres are indirectly cataloged
because indirect cataloging by the installation dialogue works at the volume
level.

- I always do what used to be called an ‘upgrade install’.  With z/osmf I
instead answered ‘no’ to ‘do you want to create operational datasets’. In both
cases we still get some operational datasets such as CPAC.PARMLIB. Most of
these are not required but to avoid clashing with existing datasets of the same
name I rename them as SYS!.CPAC.* and indirectly catalog them on sysres.

Keith GOODING