> Wanted to add a few other comments
> Since IBM is forcing everyone to z/OSMF with 2.5, not excited for
> this but It seems to work pretty well, except for everything that
> cant see it doing behind the scenes. It seems this is a ton of
> catalog look-ups to validate nothing exist.
>
> But then in the IZUD04UZ job you delete everything anyhow. So why
> validate it in the workflows?  I fail because my SMPE datasets are
> already allocated, because I installed thru a SERVERPAC.

When you use the z/OSMF Deployment action to install a ServerPac, you're
telling z/OSMF you want to install the software provided in that
ServerPac.  To "install software" means z/OSMF will create data sets.
Therefore, before it attempts to create any data sets, it ensures there
are no unintended collisions with existing data sets on your specified
volumes and in the catalogs.  You either have to modify the data set names
in the configuration, or rename or delete the existing data sets so there
are no unintended collisions.

If you want z/OSMF to consider such collisions to be intended, then tell
z/OSMF to delete the existing data sets.  You do this either by selecting
a software instance to be replaced that contains the subject data sets, or
by indicating the target volume that contains the subject data sets will
be initialized.  Both options result in z/OSMF considering such collisions
to be intended, and the existing data sets will get deleted explicitly.

> Lastly since the direction in 2.5 for z/OSMF, now everyone will have
> a valid instance going forward.  So you should still provide a way
> to extract the migration action XML, so that for 2.5 only its
> available outside.

What "migration action XML" are you talking about?  The customization
workflows supplied in the ServerPac?  If so, those workflows are not
designed to be performed stand alone.  They are designed to be performed
from Software Management when you install the ServerPac PSWI.

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM,  z/OS SMP/E and z/OSMF Software Management
Chuck Norris never uses CHECK when he applies PTFs.