From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Frank Swarbrick [frank.swarbr...@outlook.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 5:11 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Variable length records for SYSIN data sets

I have a goal to concatenate a data set of variable length records
(RECFM=VB,LRECL=204) with an instream data set of fixed length characters.  My
though was to add RECFM=V to my instream DD, i.e.:
//INFILE   DD DISP=SHR,DSN=MY.VB.FILE
//         DD *,RECFM=V,LRECL=204

The RECFM is rejected as being conflicting with a SYSIN dataset:
IEFC009I KEYWORD RECFM IS MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE WITH KEYWORD SYSIN ON THE DD
STATEMENT

And yet the following section of the manual, "SYSIN data set" has discussion of
SYSIN data sets where "the record format is variable":
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=ssds-sysin-data-set

But how do I actually make the SYSIN dataset variable length?

I do realize there are probably other options to accomplish my task, but this
is bugging me.