From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
René Jansen [rene.vincent.jan...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 4, 2022 2:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ... Re: Top 8 Reasons for using Python instead of REXX for z/OS

We have daily builds for ooRExx on Z for Linux on Z on our build machine. These
run on Suse, Red Hat and Ubuntu. JDBC to DB2 works like on every Linux, to DB2
on z/OS or Linux, Unix, Windows (luw).
There is more on the mainframe than z/OS - although this does not mean that I
would like to see that port. An OO version of Rexx for USS could use the
existing environments for Rexx; the existing OO version of Rexx, NetRexx, which
runs on USS has ‘knowledge’ of conventional MVS filesystems, spool and other
facilities and addressing environments via JZOS. Although, strictly spoken, ZFS
is a z/OS filesystem and the I/O Macros are very alike.

But I know what you mean and it is a subject of much speculation why Rexx on
z/OS is stuck on 4.02 - or is it?

Best regards,

René.