I *think* it would be possible to monitor the console ECB from Rexx, and
extract any MODIFY text -- you can do almost anything in Rexx with enough
C2D()'s -- but multiple levels of C2D() does not exactly make for a pretty
application. I think it would be Rexx abuse.

Answering @kekronbekron's question, I don't think there is any "system"
facility that lets a program written in Rexx be aware of STOP or MODIFY. I have
two similar Rexx STC's -- one is essentially version zero of the app I am
designing here, and will be replaced by it -- and for both, I admit it, the
command to stop them is CANCEL. :-(

I don't think there is any facility for Rexx running in batch-type
environments, whether compiled or interpreted, including as an STC, to process
HI (Halt Interpretation, not "Hello!"). I would be happy if someone would
correct me.

What I keep meaning to do, and will do as part of this application, is write a
little assembler (sorry, David <g>) routine to solve this issue. All of these
STC's have the general flow

Do Forever
  Perform some sort of processing
  Delay several minutes

(Watch out if the list folds those lines!)

The assembler routine will take as input a delay time in hundredths of a second
(because of STIMER), do a WAIT ECBLIST, and return one of

'T' -- the time expired
'P' -- the operator entered STOP
'F modify command operand' -- the operator entered MODIFY

That will make for an application that could be halted without CANCEL, and also
could potentially be re-parametized on the fly.

Charles