I take it you must be the client? I can't fathom any client who would be stupid enough to allow a vendor to write code in their language of choice due to their personal skill set. That's technical debt.

On 20/06/2022 11:34 pm, Charles Mills wrote:
Aww David, I respect you more than that reply.

Of course I could learn to write Hello World in Python more quickly than I can
write this sentence. But what I alluded to is that past experience teaches me
that getting from Hello World to a working system on z/OS is many days of agony.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David Crayford
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2022 9:32 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Some UNIX file usage questions

You could have learned Python in the time it took you to write this email.

On 20/06/2022 1:15 am, Charles Mills wrote:
Why not use Python? Good question.
1. I can undoubtedly do it perfectly satisfactorily, and almost certainly more
quickly, in Rexx (because of the learning curve). I would have trouble
justifying billing the client for my Python learning time when there is little
benefit (that I know of -- correct me if I am wrong) for the client who is
paying the bills.

Why not, then, learn Python on my own time? Don't I want to learn Python? Yes I
do, but there are only so many hours in a day, and there are other things I
want to learn more than I do Python. For example, I would rather spend the time
learning to make the Roman-Jewish fried artichokes that are in the current
Cooks Illustrated. Learning Python is just not very high on my bucket list.
It's there, but probably not high enough to ever rise to the top.

2. I know exactly how to execute a Started Task written in Rexx, and I know most of the
gotchas. In my experience, THAT is the problem with the "new tools" on z/OS.
What would I have to do to execute a Started Task written in Python? What are the
gotchas? Heck, what do I have to do to set up any Python environment at all? That is the
time-consuming issue, and it holds about zero personal gratification for me. I could
probably learn the Python language pretty readily, and it would be one more notch in my
belt. Solving the probable gotchas of getting Python to actually do productive work on
z/OS -- not so much.
Not for me, and probably not for the "report" (I am flattering the requirement calling it
a report -- maybe call it an "alert") that the client wants. And again, a learning curve
that is difficult to justify.

So I think I will write it in Rexx, with perhaps a little bit of Assembler.
Does your client REALLY want to maintain assembler code? Our company
policy is not to use assembler for new code due to lack of available
skills which will only get worse.

Charles