On 29/06/2022 5:42 am, Charles Mills wrote:
"write" fd "buf"

Which makes no sense to me at all. fd is passed by value but "buf" by name?

It's horribly inconsistent and unpleasant to use. The buffer HAS to be a passed by reference (variable) as it could break REXX string length limits or contain characters that REXX chokes on. I can't help but think that you've made a rod for your back. REXX is superficially simple but in my experience, which is 30 years of using the language, it is anything but and has endless pitfalls.