On 29/06/2022 6:37 pm, Seymour J Metz wrote:
Sme, but manageable. The article Safe REXX at
<http://www.rexxla.org/Newsletter/9812safe.html> and
<http://www.rexxla.org/Newsletter/9901safe.html";> has some tips on avoiding REXX
pitfalls.

What's the point in managing something when you can just use a better language? It's a good time to be working on z/OS as we have an abundance of choice. That's not entirely obvious on this forum where every problem seems to be met with a ham-fisted REXX solution.

Yes, Crayford's bashing REXX again. I have some experience of using z/OS UNIX REXX services but I didn't find it productive. Maybe somebody with more knowledge than me could post a snippet that demonstrates how to recursively traverse a directory tree printing the entries.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
David Crayford [dcrayf...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2022 11:31 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Some questions on SYSCALL

On 29/06/2022 5:42 am, Charles Mills wrote:
"write" fd "buf"

Which makes no sense to me at all. fd is passed by value but "buf" by name?
It's horribly inconsistent and unpleasant to use. The buffer HAS to be a
passed by reference (variable) as it could break REXX string length
limits or contain characters that REXX chokes on.
I can't help but think that you've made a rod for your back. REXX is
superficially simple but in my experience, which is 30 years of using
the language, it is anything but and has endless pitfalls.