On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 09:21:59 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>I have an "outlying case" to test my understanding:
>
>//  SET  FOO='&WOM'
>//  SET  BAR=BAT
>//  SET  WOMBAT='SDB=YES'
>//*
>//STEP     EXEC PGM=IEBGENER,PARMDD=SYSUT1
>//SYSUT2    DD  SYSOUT=(,)
>//SYSUT1    DD  *,SYMBOLS=JCL
>&FOO&BAR
>//SYSIN     DD  DUMMY
>//SYSPRINT  DD  SYSOUT=(,)
>
>Since symbols are substituted when SYSUT1 is created and GET
>performs no further transformation, the line written to SYSUT2
>is "&WOMBAT".  I'm pretty confident of that.
>
>But when SYSUT1 is processed as PARMDD, are symbols also
>resolved by the initiator, since "the JCL symbol values are known"
>and it's not too late, so the PARM passed to IEBGENER is
>"SDB=YES"?

I think your understanding has a flaw, gil. As I understand the discussion, it
is not the initiator doing the substitution. If it were, then symbols in
non-instream PARMDD data sets would work. Rather, it is JES doing the
substitution. The initiator merely passes along whatever GET provided, and GET
in turn merely passes along exactly what was in the non-instream data set, or
whatever JES provided for an instream data set.

--
Walt