>Think "Black Team".

Sorry, but that is not relevant. We try not to waste time and resources
implementing things that no one needs (with less than 100% success, I'm
sure).
It is not a question of exercising the outlying cases of an implementation
trying to break something.

>Should I infer from this that only symbol substitution by instream data
>set processing occurs, and if the PARMDD data set is not instream
>no symbol processing is possible?

Yes you should. There is no intrinsic support in "GET" to ask for and/or
get symbol substitution; it is only in JES instream data set processing
(not a great state of affairs, in my opinion)

>[S]hortly before the jobstep program
>attach" sounds far too late for JES JCL symbol substitution.

Perhaps I am missing something. Why would it be "too late"? It is before
the program gets control. It is after the JCL symbol values are known.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design