On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:12:39 -0400, Peter Relson wrote:

>I'm afraid that some of the comments on this thread do not reflect real
>world practical usage. The EXEC PGM= PARM= string is not typically (ever?)
>used in this way. Maybe that's because of the long-standing
>implementation, but that is reality. If you have need for blanks within
>the result, you can get them (except perhaps trailing blanks after the
>last record). That, after all, is the true requirement. I don't see any
>thwarting, in practice.

Think "Black Team".  Their spectacular success was because they
tested not against "real world practical usage", but against all
possible input circumstances.  Any designer who says, "No
programmer would ever do that because it has no practical use"
is almost certainly wrong.

>The PARMDD file (which can, as was asked, be a z/OS Unix file) is read
>shortly before the jobstep program attach.
>If it is instream, symbol substitution can be asked for and gotten. It
>utilizes the JES instream data set processing.

Should I infer from this that only symbol substitution by instream data
set processing occurs, and if the PARMDD data set is not instream
no symbol processing is possible?  "[S]hortly before the jobstep program
attach" sounds far too late for JES JCL symbol substitution.

-- gil